Associate General Counsel – Compliance and Transactions / CaféPress
Calabasas, CA (Los Angeles Area)
Woodridge, IL (Chicago Area)
Who We Are:
The PlanetArt companies provide consumers and small businesses with the tools, content and services to create quality personalized products that are both innovative and affordable.
Everything we do empowers self-expression and delivers smiles.
Our Legal Dept. currently comprises three attorneys and two paralegals. This is a new position, and a new dispute resolution and intellectual property position that we seek to fill concurrently, will bring us to four attorneys and two paralegals.
This position will report to the Managing Counsel and should be someone within commuting distance of our offices in Calabasas CA, Louisville KY, or Woodridge, IL. At the highest level, this position will have two primary roles. First, this position will assist the Managing Counsel with compliance in areas such as privacy protection, human resources, consumer products, fair labor, and advertising and promotion. Second, this position will take the lead on a variety of transactional work for PlanetArt, consisting of a wide variety of contracts and occasionally including mergers and acquisitions. You must possess a strong analytical and detail-oriented skill set in order to evaluate the complex legal issues affecting the company and offer practical solutions. You must also have exceptionally strong business acumen and the ability to work effectively and efficiently on multiple projects in a busy work environment and fast-growing company while being a critical go-to partner for business stakeholders.
What You’ll Do:
- Assist with compliance in areas such as privacy protection (domestic and international), human resources, consumer products, fair labor, and advertising and promotion.
- Author, review, revise, manage and at times negotiate a wide variety of both inbound and outbound technology, licensing, distribution, and other commercial agreements. This will involve working directly with various product, sales, marketing and administrative team members.
- Work cross-functionally with product, engineering, sales, and business development teams in supporting the development, delivery, and commercialization of compliant consumer and technology products in a fast-paced and hands-on environment.
- Conduct complex legal research and analysis and advise company business units, as well as collaborate with Managing Counsel on legal requirements, risks and liabilities.
- Comprise a part of the M&A team by undertaking research and analysis in the course of due diligence and drafting and negotiating contracts used in the M&A process.
- Work with outside counsel in their handling of compliance projects.
- Devise policies, practices and procedures that relate to data privacy, contract management and/or other compliance matters such as Proposition 65, fair labor, and consumer product compliance.
- Conduct complex legal research and analysis and advise company business units, as well as collaborate with the Managing Counsel on legal requirements, risks and liabilities.
What You Should Have:
- You have experience in and enjoy data privacy, with a demonstrated ability to practically translate business needs into suitable and cost-effective resolutions.
- You are a compliance generalist, but with meaningful experience in and enjoyment of at least domestic (if not also international) consumer compliance subjects for an internet-based business. In short, you are able to identify and address compliance issues relating to both physical consumer goods as well as web- and mobile-based businesses.
- You are an intelligent and practical business-minded thinker with experience helping companies strike the right balance between risk and reward and a desire to protect the company while preventing and resolving transactional and compliance issues in a way that makes sense for the business.
- You are detail-oriented and enjoy working independently in a fast-paced, collegial environment.
- You have some experience in and/or interest in expanding your horizons to include mergers and acquisitions.
- You have a JD that shows strong academic credentials, are a member in good standing of the California or Kentucky bar, and preferably have 3-5 years’ experience.
How to Apply:
If you would like to work in a creative, collaborate, high-growth environment, this Associate General Counsel role may be for you! Please submit your resume and cover letter via: firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to tell us why you think you’d be a great fit! Submissions that do not include all of these items will not be considered. We look forward to hearing from you!